Xenophobia: South Africa arrests no Nigerian during evacuation

Nigeria Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, has report that no Nigerian was arrested in the cause of leaving South Africa following xenophobic attacks on them.

In a report from NAN, Adama said no returnee was detained or denied to board the flight on Wednesday by South African Authorities.

He added that those with immigration problems were quickly fixed to enable them evacuate the country.

“So, because of documentation, a lot of people missed the flight but nobody was detained.

“Everybody that had an issue with immigration was resolved and we ensured they all traveled.’’

ALSO READ:  “We're grateful, you will see results” - Justice Alogba

Adama also said the delay in the evacuation process from South Africa was caused by their attitudes and misplacement of travel documents as required by South Africa immigration laws.

“Some will still tell you that they put their documents inside bags that had been checked into the plane; some even said that they had theirs stolen and all that.

“Then others have issues of expired passports.

“We did not transport anybody on Thursday.

“We are waiting to prepare properly because we lost some spaces in the aircraft on Wednesday due to the attitudes of some of our people.

ALSO READ:  PHOTO NEWS: Deputy Governor Hamzat receives UK Minister of State of Africa, Foreign Commonwealth office

“If you give instructions, they will not follow; calling them, they will not pick; even when they hear their names, they will not respond,” he said.

The second batch flight had to be reschedule to enable those who had issues with their documents resolve it.

“We are all on the same page before the next exercise.

“The next batch of passengers from South Africa will not be Friday because we are not prepared for that but we want to finalise and send them the manifest.’’

ALSO READ:  BREAKING: Yahaya Bello emerges Kogi APC Governorship candidate

He said that the mission had not given any time, but once it finishes, it would intimate the airline within 24 hours.

The Consul General said that there was a case of a woman, who wanted to travel with children that were not her own, adding that the case was treated as that of human trafficking.

“We equally resolved that too as the father of the children came to the airport for identification,’’ he said.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *