Posts

  • General unhappy with Sanwo-Olu for denying involvement in Lekki toll-gate incident
  • Nigerian Army not searching for DJ Switch

The Commander of 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brig. Gen. Ahmed Taiwo, has disclosed that the Nigerian Army was unhappy after the Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, denied inviting the military on October 20, when the soldiers shot at the Lekki toll-gate where #EndSARS protesters were gathered.

The Brig. Gen. said this on Saturday, in his testimony before the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry probing the Lekki toll-gate incident.

Brig. Gen. Taiwo added that inviting the military was the best decision the Lagos State governor could have taken since the #EndSARS protest dipped the state into anarchy.

“I spoke with the governor and said the Army was unhappy that he said he did not ask for Army’s intervention but I am sure that after you watched everything (video footages), you saw he had more than enough grounds to ask for Army’s intervention; perhaps it was the way everything went,” he said.

In earlier reports, Lagos State governor had denied inviting the military to the Lekki toll-gate on October 20, describing the incident as “forces beyond my control” were responsible for the incident.

But in subsequent reports, the Army Headquarters said in a statement that the Lagos State government invited the soldiers to get involve and the soldiers acted within the rules of engagement.

The Lagos governor has been under fire since the incident at the Lekki toll gate which has been condemned by local and international civil rights organisations.

Nigerian Army not searching for DJ Switch

Brig. Gen. Ahmed Taiwo also denied the spreading rumors that the army are searching for popular Disc Jockey, Obianuju Catherine Udeh, popularly known as DJ Switch.

He said this during his testimony before the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry probing the alleged shooting of #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll-gate on October 20.

The General said:

“Some people take delight in misrepresenting Nigeria and particularly the Nigerian Army to the international community and our fellow Nigerians. This, I believe is done for pecuniary gains.

Quite recently, a Nigerian, Catherine Udeh, also known as DJ Switch, claimed the Nigerian Army was looking for her. There is nothing further than the truth.

My Lord, we have bigger fish to fry; and that is how to stabilize Lagos. We can’t be bothered chasing one or two people. Where she got that from, I do not know.”

There are now reports and claims that DJ Switch has sought asylum outside the country after she claimed that her life was being threatened following the Lekki toll-gate incident.

RDM Entertainment record label music sensation, Uche Augustine Peter, known with his stage name Prince Uc has released a new track titled “Soro Soke”.

The fast rising Nigerian artist talks about the rate of Police brutality and the call for ending the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (#EndSARS).

Prince Uc dropped the track for download on October 22.

Follow Prince Uc on IG @prince_uc_

The police in Lagos on Tuesday has arrested over 500 suspects for their involvement in last week’s violence.

The Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu revealed that during the chaos in the state, six policemen and four others were reported dead.

He added that more than 35 police officers were injured; 16 police stations were touched and 13 vandalised by hoodlums who hijacked the #EndSARS protests.

Among those arrested were those who allegedly participated in the burning of Oyingbo BRT buses and Television Continental (TVC) offices.

The six policemen killed are Assistant Superintendent Yard Edward, attached to Denton Police Station; Inspector Olayinka Erinfolami of the defunct Anti-Kidnapping Unit (AKU); Inspector Adegbenro Aderibigbe, attached to Meiran Division, Sergeant Abejide Abiodun of Department of Operations (DOPs), State Headquarters and two others attached to Orile Division.

Odumosu said 58 police vehicles were burnt and 13 vandalised; 62 vehicles belonging to individuals and those connected with some pending cases (exhibits) were burnt and nine other vehicles vandalised by the hoodlums in police premises.

The Commissioner of Police said 15 motorcycles and tricycles were torched and 65 vandalised at various locations within the state.

“Thirteen formations were vandalised, among which were Ojo and Ojodu Stations. Police posts burnt include Cele, llogbo-Elerin, Shibiri, defunct Anti-Cultism office, Gbagada; defunct SARS Office Onilekere, Makoko, Daleko, Ashamu, Makinyo, Amuwo-Odofin; defunct Anti-Kidnapping Office, Surulere and old SARS Office Ajegunle.

“During the unrest, the police posts that were vandalised by the hoodlums included PPL, Mowo, Morogbo, Ikota and Mawa police posts.

“Some private facilities, as well as other investments that were partly torched and vandalised/looted, include the Oba of Lagos’ Palace; Television Continental (TVC) at Ikosi-Ketu; Access Bank, GTBank and Ebeano Supermarket at Victoria Island; The Nation office at Fatai Atere Street, Mushin; Shoprite Malls at Ajah, LTV 8, Alausa, Ikeja, Surulere; Samsung outlet at Apple Roundabout, Festac; Shoprite at Festac, Samsung Office Oyingbo, etc.

“However, some of the looted items from these outlets/offices have been recovered.

“Based on these incidences, the command was able to arrest a total of 520 suspects for various offences ranging from arson, robbery, murder, rioting, malicious damage, and unlawful possession of firearms,” Odumosu said.

Some youths at Oworo area of Lagos State has sent out some messages to the entire police force.

The young group of people has placed several banner at some strategic point at Olojojo bus/stop at Oworo.

This was made known after Dr Olufunmilayo shared some images on his Twitter timeline.

See more photos below…

Nigeria President Muhammadu Buhari finally addressed the nation following the #EndSARS protest in various states all over the country.

Buhari accepted to address the nation after over 11 days of peaceful protest all over the country.

He failed to address the issue of Lekki toll-gate shootout where over 70 peoples lost their lives following the attack by the Nigerian Army.

Below are responses of celebrities following the speech…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGqGbuSpmoI/?igshid=1f9nhrq44jh78

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CGqEEF2HCJu/?igshid=56z8r33ezfam

The Nigerian Army has denied their involvement in the October 20th, 2020, Lekki toll-gate shootout.

The NA in several tweets declared posts that the armed forces are not present and not responsible for the Lekki toll-gate shootout.

Some minutes before the attack, all the lights at the Lekki toll-gate road were shut down, then the armed men moved in and started shooting.

At around 7pm, some armed men stormed the Lekki toll-gate and opened fired on unarmed civilians protesting for the eradication of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (F-SARS).

Reno Omokri and several media organizations had posted that the NA attacked the protesters at the scene.

Some armed men has just stormed and opened fire at unarmed #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll-gate.

The protest which has been ongoing for over a week at the toll-gate was said to be non-violence and peaceful.

Some reports claimed that the shooters at the Lekki toll-gate were men of the Nigeria Armed Forces (military).

Scores was also recorded as the policemen at the Olosan police station opened fire on residents.

More details to follow soon…

Hours after the Inspector General of Police, IGP, Mohammed Adamu, disband the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, F-SARS, men of the Nigeria Police Force, NPF, assaulted AriseTV cameraman.

The cameraman of the media organization, identified as Francis Ogbonna was assaulted few hours after the disbandment of SARS.

A reporter of Arise TV, Ferdinand Duruoha shared a video clip showing how Francis’ head was broken by a police officer who attacked them.

The IGP announced the disbandment of the police unit during a press conference in Abuja, following reports and complaints about how the officers uses their position to commit various crimes across the country.

Duruoha narrates the ordeal saying:

“We took the IG’s message live on Twitter banning SARS, and on returning from that particular interview, we saw some youth along the road, protesting.

“While we were trying to speak to them and get their takes on the IG’s message, we were attacked by policemen who have brutally assaulted Francis and broke his camera and Arise news camera.

“This is the result of that brutalisation. I am about taking him to the hospital but then we just need to get this as a sign of evidence of what the police have done.”

Watch the video below…

The Inspector General of Police IGP Mohammed Adamu, on October 11, has announced the disbandment of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, F-SARS.

He made this announcement during a press conference held at the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Adamu reveals that officers captured under the unit SARS, will be deployed to other units within the police departments and serve other purposes.

The IGP says a new anti-robbery squad that will serve the same purpose as SARS will be reveal soon.

This announcement came after citizens held several protest in different states in the country.

The police unit has been accused of brutality, extortion, and incessant murder of many young Nigerians.

Read full press release below…

IGP DISSOLVES THE SPECIAL ANTI-ROBBERY SQUAD (SARS)

· Emplaces other measures to protect the citizens

In the finest spirit of democratic, citizen-centred and community policing, the Inspector-General of Police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM, mni has today, 11th October 2020, dissolved the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) across the 36 State Police Commands and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) where they hitherto existed.

The IGP, while noting that the dissolution of SARS is in response to the yearnings of the Nigerian people, observes that by this dissolution, all officers and men of the now-defunct Special Anti-robbery Squad are being redeployed with immediate effect.

The IGP notes that the Force is not oblivious of the ever-present need to combat armed robbery, kidnapping and other violent crimes in the country which was before now the core mandate of the erstwhile Squad. He assures that a new policing arrangement to address anticipated policing gaps the dissolution of SARS would cause has been evolved and shall be announced in due course.

Meanwhile, as part of measures to prevent a re-occurrence of events that gave rise to the dissolution of SARS, a Citizens’ and Strategic Stakeholders’ Forum is being formed to regularly interface with Police leadership at all levels and advise on police activities as they affect the general public.

In addition, the Force is constituting an Investigation Team which shall include Civil Society Organizations and Human Rights Bodies to work with the Police in investigating alleged cases of human rights violations. The measure, the IGP believes, will enhance transparency and accountability in police services as well as providing a system of deterrence for erring police officers whose action clearly violates the rights of the citizenry.

The IGP appreciates and commends all citizens particularly those who genuinely express their concerns for a better policing orientation in an organized, patriotic and civil manner. He reaffirms the determination of the Force to bequeath to the country a Police Force and System that is professional in service delivery and most importantly, accountable to the people.

DCP FRANK MBA
FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
FORCE HEADQUARTERS
ABUJA

The Nigerian Police Force officers fired tear gas at unarmed protesters at the nation’s capital, Abuja.

Protesters filled the FCT streets to show their support for the #EndSARS campaign.

The protest also took place at various state in the country, including Lagos State.

Star Wars actor, John Boyega is also among the celebrities supporting the movement against the existence of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, F-SARS and police brutality.

At some hours on Friday, the hashtag #EndSARS was trending worldwide on Twitter with some celebrities tweeting about the protest to show their support.

Among the Nigerian celebrities tweeting about the protest are Wizkid, Davido, Naira Marley, Small Doctor and others.

On Sunday, Nigeria’s Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mohammed Adamu banned the Sars unit from carrying out stop and search duties and setting up roadblocks.

In addition, he also said the members of SARS must always be on uniform and assure the masses that the unit would be investigated.

In response to this statement, Nigerians want the unit disbanded completely.

Many people have used the hashtag to share their brutal experience with the police unit.